"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door... You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."
--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Nicaragua: Algunas fotos

Hello, internet.  My apologies for the silence this week.  It has mostly been spent writing a grant proposal for the workshop series we are planning--a process that is interesting for me as a learning experience, but not such interesting blog material.  I do have some interesting stories to share with you--we had a gathering yesterday of all the women in the network of Women's Rights Promoters, and I spent the night last night in the neighboring town of Nancimi to get to know that community a bit--but I'm feeling a bit frantic with the grant, as it is due Friday.  Meaning you shall probably have to wait until next weekend for a proper update.

So in the meantime, to tide you over, here are a few photos of Tola, the town where I live.  I hope you enjoy, and more updates to come soon!  ¡Abrazos!


The park in the center of Tola.  I love the pastel colors with which it's painted.


The Catholic church, also in the center of town, across the street from the park.


The main street of Tola.  You can see some of the pulperías, which is what they call the little grocery/convenience stores where they buy food and necessities.  (And for my Spanish speaking friends, no it's not a store that sells octopus; that was what I originally thought, and my host sisters thought that was hilarious when I asked them about it.)


FSD's office in Tola.


The Nazarene church my host family attends.

No comments:

Post a Comment